Automotive Website Disavow Campaigns
BACKLINKS, BACKLINKS, BACKLINKS! Oh the days of throwing tons of free and paid backlinks towards your automotive website by any means necessary. This was once an effective automotive SEO strategy when trying to improve your page rank. Not to say that backlinks are now a bad thing….but the quality of the backlink is much more important than the quantity of backlinks you have pointing at your automotive website.
Google works hard to make sure that your site is not affected by third party vendors trying to harm your site, but you sure do have some work to do if you participated in any low quality link building either currently or back in the day.
So what do you do?
- Check out all of the links currently pointing to your site. Check them using whatever method you are comfortable with. (Ahref, Google Webmaster, Bright Local, ect. )
- Categorize your linked domains. (High quality, relevant links pointing to your site & low quality links)
- Start a campaign contacting the webmasters of the sites these low quality backlinks live on and ask them to TAKE THEM OFF!!!
- If they don’t respond or refuse, turn to Google Disavow
As an automotive SEO myself, I find it very difficult contacting web developers of low quality sites and asking them to trash the links pointing to my dealers sites. If I don’t hear back from them within two weeks, they are added to my disavow .txt doc.
How do you set up a disavow campaign?
You could contact us and have us do it for you…..or follow the steps below.
- Make sure you website is claimed in webmaster tools
- Choose the site you want to set up a disavow campaign
- Under the “search traffic” section of your dashboard, choose “links to your site”
- Download the table of domains pointing to your website as a .CSV file or Google Doc
- Access your links. I personally delete all of the domains the I LIKE pointing to my websites instead of creating a whole new doc and moving every bad backlink over to it.
- Save the file as a .txt file.
- Go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/disavow-links-main
- Choose the site in which you want to set up a disavow campaign
- Follow the path of uploading your doc & you are done!
For more in depth instructions, contact us today!
Make sure you are tracking the number of linked domains in webmaster tools to make sure its actually working. Good luck!