Relevancy Is Key To Paid Search Success
Automotive SEM | Car Dealer PPC
As an owner of an Automotive Digital Advertising agency, I try to stay on top of what is happening with technology and new strategies in our industry. In watching speakers and webinar presenters one thing is becoming abundantly clear to me. Day after day people try to throw buzzwords and big data charts at dealers, but rarely are they covering the basics or talking about how they plan to implement an ongoing targeted strategy to dealers. Why is that? It’s because of a continued push toward over complication, and automation to help vendors streamline profits.
It’s not that automotive SEM isn’t complicated, because it absolutely IS complicated, but when vendors are talking to dealers we shouldn’t play up the complication factor in order to dazzle or confuse. What we need to be doing is reassuring dealer’s that even though the various types of paid search are very complicated, we are still covering some core basics that will ensure that our key performance metrics are being hit with maximum efficiency.
We are well aware of a push toward programmatic advertising for Automotive SEM, and we are of course utilizing all of these various channels in our own Pay Per Click strategies, however the core traditional PPC of Google & Bing text based advertising is still a huge part of our strategy, as it should be every dealer’s. The thing that has gotten lost in this huge part of the digital budget is laser targeting for relevancy.
What are some of the basics that your digital advertising agency MUST be doing in order to make sure that you are getting the highest quality and volume of clicks for your traditional search based advertising?
- Use low monthly payments for your new car lease specials in the ad copy
- Make sure you are sending traffic to custom landing pages that reinforce the messaging in the new car model ads within the copy of the landing page. This low monthly payment and supporting messaging must be visible above the fold along with at least one conversion point.
- Make sure the landing page you send traffic to allows shoppers the opportunity to:
– research the vehicle model
– find available new inventory in stock for this model
– find similar pre-owned inventory in stock for the model
- Utilize automated bidding strategies that make daily adjustments to make sure your ads are bidding the minimum amount for best ad positioning.
- Using exploratory MBM (Modified Broad Match) campaigns that can be researched monthly for high traffic keywords to add to your Exact Match campaigns and then excluded through negative keywords in your MBM campaigns.
Based on what we have seen from doing many competitive analysis for our dealerships, we can tell you that sadly most digital advertising agencies are not following these very basic steps to make sure that dealers are getting the most out of their digital spend.
These tactics should only apply to your new car, service, and parts advertising budgets. We highly recommend an automated automotive used car PPC program for all of your pre-owned digital marketing efforts. Used car marketing should be inventory specific, but retain all of the core best practice principles mentioned above, which is why we always recommend DriveMATIC for Used Car Automotive PPC.
Tags: automotive ppc
Trackback from your site.